Thursday, September 01, 2005

Hurricane relief and the monotheistic faiths

Here’s something interesting. I went to yahoo.com and google.com and entered “Christian and charity and Katrina” in the search engine and came up with a number of websites that had information about Christian charities and how to help the hurricane victims. I did the same thing again, but this time switched “Christian” to “Jewish.” Again, a number of websites about Jewish charities assisting the hurricane victims. Then—you guessed it—I typed in Islamic, and even Muslim, and what did I get? A few articles about Islamic charities that were used as fronts to fund terrorist groups, and not much else. I didn’t see any websites about Islamic humanitarian organizations collecting money for Katrina victims.

This is not to say that there are no Muslim groups helping the hurricane victims; it only shows that my cursory search failed to locate them. Nor am I arguing that individual Muslims have not donated any money to help; I’m sure many have. I am not sure if my unscientific experiment proves anything. But I did learn one valuable lesson: If you do give money to an Islamic charity to help hurricane victims, make absolutely sure that your donation does not go to buy explosives for Hamas or Islamic Jihad.

Update:
I recalibrated my search slightly and found this group: http://www.masnet.org/ They seem to be doing the right thing.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, just came across your blog. I enjoyed it ...most informative.

I've been reviewing other blogs and I book marking the standouts.

Well, needless to say, I have bookmarked your blog.

I also write a blawg. Actually, it's more of a collection of Internet
Tech tips/observations to inform legal (actually most regular sites as well) web site owners how to achieve improved search engine standings while avoiding the many Internet scams.

My blawg legal
advice library
site. is still very much a work in progress.
My legal directorySan Francisco lawyers - attorneys Directory site is the newer of our 15 legal directory sites that cover California, Texas and Las Vegas.

Please visit and check them out if you have the time

MORE IMPORTANTLY . . .I have been watching the news about Hurricane Katrina as I am sure you have been too. My heart goes out to these people and I pray they get the assitance they need as fast as humanly possible.

What makes me sick are the emails I have been receiving over the past few days from people "claiming" to help. Maybe they are sincere maybe not. I don't know.

-------------------------------------------------------------
If You Want To Help The Hurricane Efforts
-------------------------------------------------------------

Here's two links to legitimate organizations to donate you money to if you want to help.

FEMA - http://www.fema.gov
Red Cross - http://www.redcross.org


Feel free to pass this message on to someone else.

Help someone and donate what you can today.

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



hits
see web stats