Monday, September 12, 2005

PC Thought Police Alert

As the saying goes, "The path to hell is paved with good intentions." The following article shows how well-meaning codes of conduct can morph into totalitarian-like mind control.

I also received a glossary of terms that are acceptable and not acceptable to use in my position. "Boyfriend" and "girlfriend" are out, unless used in conjunction—as in "do you have a boyfriend or girlfriend?" thereby avoiding the assumption of heterosexuality.

My emails, online profiles, and bedroom decorations are subject to inspection if I am suspected of violating any diversity policies.

I was told to place myself on something called the Riddle Homophobia Scale. I chose the "acceptance" level. As it turned out, "tolerance" and "acceptance" are still considered "homophobic" ("implies there is something to accept"). Ultimately, I was told, I should aim to find myself nurturing GLBTQA, wherein I will realize that "gay/lesbian people are indispensable to our society," and will view GLBTQAs with "genuine affection and delight," manifested by an eagerness to be an ally and advocate for their community.

Last summer during orientation for graduate school I remember senior citizens referred to as "Chronologically seasoned individuals." No joke.

2 Comments:

Blogger airforcewife said...

How ridiculous can it get?

I swear, I don't think about someone's sexual orientation because I just don't care. But NOT caring that they are gay also makes me a homophobe because I SHOULD care about how wonderful they are!

Hubby bought a shirt that said "I love lesbians" and we took a picture to send to my cousbians. They loved it. However, when he wore it in public, he was castigated by a complete stranger for being "sexually insensitive", even after explaining.

I wish I had thought ahead to say, "Well, I certainly don't love you even if you are a lesbian." I'm not that clever, though.

3:24 PM  
Blogger semite1973 said...

Exactly. Apparently tolerance and acceptance are not enough for the PC thought police.

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



hits
see web stats