Monday, May 22, 2006

Clean as a whistle?

As readers of this irreverent blog must have noticed by now, occasionally I wax philosophical about an oft-heard figure of speech. Here’s the figure of speech of the day: Clean as a whistle.

WTF does that mean? How is a whistle clean? Whistles aren’t clean, are they? I'd figure they're filled with germs and bacteria; that they stink like rancid coach/referee breath. Not my idea of clean.

WHAT IS SO GODDAM CLEAN ABOUT A WHISTLE? Will somebody tell me?

Is it the sound of the whistle that is considered "clean?" Then shouldn't it be, "As clear as a whistle?"

And Irish Spring soap... are the Irish really so clean that they deserve their own brand of soap? Why not "Uzbeki Spring Soap?" Or "Jewish Spring Soap"... actually that's not funny.

I guess because the Nazis turned Jews into soap, we can never have our own brand of soap. That's fine; I'm content with Lever 2000.

3 Comments:

Blogger airforcewife said...

The fact that you said it wasn't funny made the fact that you said it funny.

Or something like that.

7:48 AM  
Blogger semite1973 said...

I had written it and then realized how it could be interpreted. But I decided to keep it.

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you seen the latest photos of Borat at Cannes? Hilarious!

Ryan

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



hits
see web stats