Thursday, August 25, 2005

Daoud al-Chappelle

What's going on with Dave Chappelle?

This is Chappelle's second trip to South Africa. He first came to Durban, and visited Salim, in 2000. Chappelle won't tell me exactly how he met Salim but describes him as a family friend. A soft-spoken Muslim, Salim seems also to be something of a sounding board to Chappelle, who converted to Islam several years ago.

Let’s just hope that Islam doesn’t do to Chappelle’s comedy what it did to Cat Steven's (Yusuf Islam's) music.

2 Comments:

Blogger airforcewife said...

I didn't have a clue about this until someone hit me with the bat. So, maybe he WAS being a regular guy within his religion.

What a relief to know that it's possible for those in show business to separate their religion/work/and politics.

I distinctly remember one show where he announced over and over again if we really wanted to hear what he thought of the War in Iraq and managed to string it on until the end of the show, saying nothing about it. I thought it was masterful.

I also saw an interview with him where he stopped short of supporting George Bush, but he intimated that he is no where near as radical in politics as he was years ago - now he thinks those tax cuts sound like very good ideas. No bad intimations, period.

Sorry for the novel - but I miss his show terribly. Loved it. Bought both the dvd compilations.

7:26 PM  
Blogger semite1973 said...

I agree. I loved the Chappelle show, and if he was a practicing Muslim all along, then I think it's a great thing that he still felt he could create the sometimes racey comedy that he did and still be a Muslim.

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



hits
see web stats