Monday, October 31, 2005

Michael Totten on Pigs and Islam

Totten, who is currently living and reporting from Beirut, Lebanon, makes some excellent points regarding the pig-banning in some British banks. Consider this as Prince Charles arrives in America to chastise us about our alleged "intolerance" of Islam.

Who’s Afraid of the Pig?

When you’re safe and sound in your snug house in the West, the Middle East can look totally whacked when you pick up the newspaper. But guess what else is true? When you’re in the Middle East, the West looks absolutley bonkers sometimes as well.

Here are two examples. (Hat tip: Instapundit.)First, pig stories are banned in some schools in Britain.

A West Yorkshire head teacher has banned books containing stories about pigs from the classroom in case they offend Muslim children. The literature has been removed from classes for under-sevens at Park Road Junior Infant and Nursery School in Batley. [Emphasis added.]Some banks are now frightened of “piggy banks.”

The Koran forbids the eating of "the flesh of swine", and as a result, NatWest and Halifax have taken down promotional posters which feature piggy banks.Can I make a new rule? Anyone who is in a position of power and who will make policies relating to Muslims is first required to visit Muslim countries.

Look. I’m in Lebanon. Somewhere around 35 or 40 percent of the people who live here are Christian. Except for around 60 Jews, the rest are Muslims. This is a Muslim-majority country. Muslims outnumber Christians approximately two to one. And yet pork – pork – is all over this place. I had a pizza for lunch today. My pizza had ham on it. Not fake halal “ham,” but actual pig meat. The restaurant that served me this pizza is on the Muslim side of the city.

I have sliced ham in my refridgerator. Guess where I bought it? I bought it at a regular grocery store on the Muslim side of the city.

I guess it’s possible that religious Muslims are offended that Christians, liberal Muslims, and atheist “Muslims” eat pork. Some vegetarians are offended. Some Jews probably are too. So? Onions offend me. That’s my problem, not your problem. So I don’t eat them. End of problem.
I wonder how many Muslims are actually offended by the fact that I can buy pork in restaurants and stores in the Muslim parts of Beirut. Not enough to make any difference, apparently, because pig meat is and has been readily available.

Don’t tell me “oh, that’s just Beirut.” It’s not just Beirut. I also saw plenty of pork in Tunisia. I’m not just talking about the hotels either. Tunisia is 99 percent Sunni Muslim Arab. And if you want pork in Tunisia, just go to a French restaurant. They are everywhere in that country. French food is that nation’s second cuisine. And it has pork in it. Big deal. Somehow Tunisian society manages to hold itself together without tearing itself to pieces over some imaginary “pork problem.”

If Muslims in Muslim-majority countries in the Middle East can handle pig meat, I think Muslims in Britain can handle plastic piggy banks and The Three Little Pigs. If they can’t handle those things they need to learn how to handle those things. Tolerance is not only for the majority. But I don’t think I’m wrong.

[O]ne of Britain's four Muslim MPs, Khalid Mahmoud, said: "A piggybank is just an ornament. Muslims would never be seriously offended."Listen to that man, stop condescending to minorities, and put the piggy banks back.

Posted by Michael J. Totten at 08:31 AM Permalink

2 Comments:

Blogger airforcewife said...

It's some wierd kind of guilt for being successful while others aren't. I know there's a psych name for it, but it's been 7years since my last class and all I remember is cognitive dissonance.

Anyway, In order to make up for success we have worked hard to earn to those who have not worked as hard, we must see them as victims. Once someone reaches "victim" status, you are required to go the extra mile to cater to them to make them feel better and help them be a happy victim.

Okay, liberal doses of sarcasm, but hidden in there is my explanation as to why this crap happens.

As to why anyone would willingly embrace the victim role, I can't imagine. The thought of people feeling sorry for me makes me want to puke.

But, in the same explanation you can kind of see why so many dislike Israel who would otherwise love her to death... Israeli Jews refused to be victims, even after WWII.

That, of course, is why I support Israel so much.

5:49 AM  
Blogger semite1973 said...

It does seem as if there is a certain sort of "victimology" that exists in the West, and that a lot of people have a perverse desire to be seen as a "victim," as if it bestows upon them some sort of authenticity.

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



hits
see web stats