Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Overly emotional

It's true that my political views are not shared by most in my department. I did, however, receive a nice email from a faculty member last night who wrote that he found my comments and views interesting. I've decided not to post email dialogues because it is too tiresome to re-adjust the formatting; I just don't have the time. But suffice to say, his email gave me encouragement. Maybe they are not all living in a Marxist dream world?

Last night in my ethics class I had a wonderful time. Although the professor is to the far left, he's always done an excellent job of keeping his political views out of the fray, and I respect that. I also really like him as a person; he's a really nice guy and a good educator. Class discussion was a blast. I assumed I'd be leaving class angry and frustrated. Instead, I left happy.

Some of my personal female friends/fellow graduate students were a bit angry at me because they felt that I was too harsh with Melody, the girl who criticized my article about office door politics. "She's really sweet when you get to know her..." The truth is though, I don't feel sorry. Thanks to Air Force Wife's comments in the comment box, I realize that Melody DID indeed attack me to the extent that she attacked my column. I can't respect people who base their arguments off of emotion only without pointing out a single fact. It's a doggy dog world out there. If you come to me with a half-baked emotional argument--especially one that calls me a whiner--I will hand you your ass on a platter.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of these Marxists oughtta stop mouthing off about "The Workers" and get out in the real world. Bet they've never done a day's REAL work in their lives. And the REAL workers' political opinions would probably shock them!

Ryan

9:51 AM  
Blogger airforcewife said...

Actually, a GOOD teacher who might not share your views is quite a blessing! Why we believe what we believe is something we should all be able to articulate in a reasonably informed manner.

"Because I said so" ceases to be a valid response after about 8 years of age.

And you are too sweet for your mention of my points! Can I call you "Grasshopper" now? ;)

10:34 AM  
Blogger semite1973 said...

You can call me Grasshopper, but I'm not sure I understand what makes me "Grasshopper"-like.

Enlighten me.

And Ryan, thanks for that Dalyrmple article. He's always so spot-on.

Zak

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



hits
see web stats