Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Back from first day of work already

To rehash this whole mess: Upon being offered a job the company that owns the paper where I applied has a policy that one must undergo drug screening within 24 hours of accepting a job. On Monday the 6th I was offered the position and accepted. I took the drug test that day. I was told results would be ready in 2-3 days. By last Thursday I was contacted by the paper and put on the schedule. They requested I begin work today. I assumed I passed and we were all good to go.

Last Monday the 13, however, I was contacted by HR and told that my urine was too diluted, would I retake the test? I took the test yesterday. The woman at HR only asked that I retake the test. Nobody at the paper contacted me to tell me to postpone coming to work today, nor did S at HR tell me not to go to work. Thus, I arrived at work today well rested, dressed to the nines, brief case in hand, and ready to roll.

The minute I stepped into the office the editor looked at me like I was an apparition.

“What are you doing here?” she asked.

“Reporting to work as assigned,” I replied.

“Didn’t S in human resources tell you that you were not supposed to come in until the test results were in?”

“No, she never said that. She only asked that I retake the test, which I did. Nor did anybody from this office tell me otherwise. In fact, last Thursday you guys put me on the schedule and told me to come to work today. And here I am.”

“Well, we’re sorry for the confusion.”

Hmmm… what the hell was S at human resources smoking to make such a stupid error? I drove 45 minutes only to be told to return home. What a waste of my time and gas. Maybe S should undergo a snap drug test for fucking up! If she was on her toes, this wouldn't have happened. Clearly her mind is clouded by something, or she's an idiot-- or both.

3 Comments:

Blogger airforcewife said...

That would make me want to give them an "extra" sample. On someone's desk.

But I'd only WANT to do. I wouldn't REALLY do it. Probably wouldn't.

Well, I wouldn't get caught, anyway.

7:02 PM  
Blogger semite1973 said...

Hee hee.

Some changes for me are in the air. I'll blog about it in near future. Suffice to say, I'll be meeting with a career counselor because whether I get this newspaper job or not, there is no money to be made in journalism. I have to create other options.

3:54 PM  
Blogger airforcewife said...

zak, there's tons of money in journalism

If you sell your soul...

6:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



hits
see web stats