Saturday, April 08, 2006

Sorry and links to articles

I've finally figured out why I haven't been blogging as much as before. It's because I've been writing so much these days. I write for school; my column; and of course my job. I guess after a long day of writing, I don't feel like coming home and doing more... writing.

For the heck of it I'm going to find links to some my recently published articles. Peruse them at your pleasure.

Revved up over NASCAR
This article was one of my first at the Daily News. It's a perfect example of a feel-good fluff story about people in the community. But I prefer those sorts of vanilla assignments over the depressing ones.

Need a raise? Convince me
This article I wrote freelance for the News Graphic, a sister newspaper of Daily News, owned by Conley Publishing. Although I was paid peanuts, by doing shit like the above I was able to get my foot in the door at my current job. This article also introduced me to Wendy Terwelp, who I have since hired to work on my new resume. One of the things I enjoy about journalism is the people I get to meet.

Easter spurs run for baby bunnies
This one was fun to write. I learned a lot about bunnies. I took my little sister along with me to snap the pix over the weekend. It was a nice excuse for us to spend some quality time together- and what 13 year old girl can resist fluffy soft bunnies? Shit, I couldn't resist them!

From the Mideast to the Midwest and back again
For this one my boss (not the editor-in-chief, but the guy who pushed to have me hired and whom I get most of my assignments) accidently forgot to tell me that I had to do a "Everybody has a story" assignment. So, on the day it was due I opened the phone books and decided to look for "foreign" sounding names. I managed to find the above Palestinian dude.

Family struggles with son’s death
This one was depressing.

Philippines medical mission an eye-opening experience

Well, that's all for now. Maybe I'll dig up more later. My friend is over, so it's time to hang out.

3 Comments:

Blogger airforcewife said...

So, how did the interview for the Middle East story go?

And which navy is his son in?

6:17 AM  
Blogger semite1973 said...

I was gentle with him. I didn't ask him any tough questions. So, it went fine.

He said his son is in the US Navy. When I went to his house to snap his photo, I noticed a support our troops sticker on their mailbox.

Still... it seems a bit nuts to me to move to teh West Bank now, after teh Hamas election, at a time when the PA is financial ruin. He's leaving a really nice suburban american living standard to go to... a war zone. And you know things are gonna get worse there before they get better.

8:41 AM  
Blogger airforcewife said...

That was exactly what made me wonder, Zak! To move from the US now... when things aren't getting better and won't get better any time soon.

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



hits
see web stats