Friday, December 16, 2005

Family, honor, killing

The following feature story is about "honor killings."

Quote and link:

When news spread through the Druse section of Shfaram that Samar Hasson had been found hanging from a tree in a local olive grove, drivers on the streets began honking their horns. "Everybody was celebrating, it was beautiful," recalled a young man who works at the Hasson clan's auto parts shop in this hillside, Muslim-Christian-Druse town northeast of Haifa. "She caused her family a lot of problems," nodded a co-worker.

Aside from the family members who buried her, no one knows where the body of the 23-year-old Druse woman lies. There was no funeral, no gravestone, no prayers, no mourning.

"They took the body somewhere, dug a hole, threw it in, covered it up and that was that," said a knowledgeable local. "The family wants to be rid of any memory of her, like she never existed."


In my family it is the opposite. I told my 13 year old sister that if she didn't manage to have sex before marriage, I would kill her for family honor. She told me to shut up and tried to punch me.

7 Comments:

Blogger airforcewife said...

I went to school with a Druse who was very proud of Casey Kassem. Anyway, I got interested and did some research, but had no idea that THAT part of the Arab culture was a part of it, too.

God, that's awful. I can't begin to thank God enough for being born HERE. Having beaten odds like that, I better damn well be making the world a better place.

2:34 PM  
Blogger semite1973 said...

So many women in the developing world, particularly Islamic countries, are treated terribly. Some don't even know things can or should be different. I don't know what's worse; knowing you have a bad lot in life, or not.

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget about the abuse of women within America's Mormon communities. It's like something straight out of some benighted Pashtun hill village.

Ryan

6:52 AM  
Blogger semite1973 said...

Yo, I didn't know dat da Morons wuz beetin' bitches and ho's. I know dat dey do thu Pigamy, where dey can hactually marry a pig and a ho. Dat is well-mental!

10:30 AM  
Blogger airforcewife said...

Bigamy is it's own punishment in America.

My husband can barely keep up with ME (and the three daughters). That last thing he needs is another moody person in the house to rearrange furniture and complain about the toilet seat.

He was suspiciously quick to accept that TDY to a nasty, cold, all dark place that showed up on Wednesday...

1:44 PM  
Blogger semite1973 said...

AFW, please escuse my ignorance, but what is "TDY"?

3:12 PM  
Blogger airforcewife said...

TDY = "Temporary Duty Assignment"

I have no idea why it's TDY and not TDA.

It's something like a deployment, but it's either very short, or to a place where there's no danger of being shot at unless there are drunks with guns around the base area.

Nellis AFB in Las Vegas = TDY

Camp Victory, Iraq = Deployment

Tulle Air Base, Greenland = Deployment, unless it's only one week long - then it's a TDY

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



hits
see web stats